Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Vimy Ridge

This is a view from the bus as we drive up to Vimy Ridge, the Canadian memorial in France, on the third day of our journey. As you can see the land is still covered with shell holes. I can't imagine what it must have been like for our country men to make there way over land freshly dug up by shells that were probably still falling as they ran.

Unfortunately the memorial was closed due to repairs, and as it was completely covered up I could only capture an image of how big the memorial is. Seeing how it towers over the surronding landscape, it goes to show how big of a role Canadians played in this war.

We were, however, able to go to the Canadian Western Front trench lines. The pupils had a great time running around here imagining what it would have been like during W.W.I.

Being the only Canadian on this trip I think I had my picture taken by everyone. I felt extremely proud to think of how much my country devoted to winning this war, and that our sacrifice will always be remembered by such a remarkable memorial site.

No comments: